Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Marie's Math Question

The question I was given to solve was #27 from Chapter 2.3.

For what values of x does x - 1/x = 1 1/2?

First, I needed to find the value of the second x.
I know that 1/2 + 1/2 make a whole so I figured that x from 1/x is 2.








To find the minuend, I used the opposite operation for subtracting which is adding. Instead of x - 1/2 = 1 1/2, I did 1 1/2 + 1/2 = 2. So the x for the minuend is equal to 2.
Also, I know that 2 - 1/2 = 1 1/2.










To see if I was correct, I replaced both x's with 2.

2 - 1/2 = 1 1/2

I then came to conclusion that x = 2.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Marie. You really did a great job showing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Marie! I thought you did a very good job explaining and showing your work. I thought your pictures really helped me to understand and visualize what you were doing. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Marie. You did a fine job on explaining what you were doing, your pictures helped a lot and how you changed the color of some words and numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Marie! I like how you explained your thoughts and what you did very clearly. Everything was straight to the point and it wasn't confusing. Your pictures helped me understand it too. Other than that, well done post!

    ReplyDelete